Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2017

My go to place for naming paintings

 Unveiling Mist 9x12 Pastel SOLD


Today I worked on more sky holes - practice makes perfect, but the whole time I was working on this, I was thinking of what the perfect title would be.  I thought back to when I took this photo.  I was visiting family in Hardinsburg, Indiana and woke up long before anyone else.  I decided to go outside for a walk, and boy was it foggy! I walked for quite a while before deciding to head back and see if anyone was up yet and the fog, I noticed, was finally lifting.  The scene of this unmowed field was just beautiful!  Each flower slowly making it's presence known.  I just had to take some pictures!

I completed this painting and still a title just wasn't coming to me.  Sure, I had a couple of words in mind, but they were ordinary words and just didn't express what I felt back on that morning walk.  So where do you go to find extraordinary words?  The thesaurus!  This is my favorite place to find words!  You can take any word - like "fog" in my case, and the thesaurus will give you a handful of other words that mean the same thing - the mother load of painting names.  If you don't have a thesaurus, I highly recommend you run down to the bookstore and buy one.  It will save you hours of "thinking" and give you more time to paint!  Where do you like to find ideas for titles?

No comments:

Post a Comment