Pages

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Day 10 of 31 Paintings in 31 Days





Another Season 9x6 pastel available $25.00


Have you ever took the time to look up high into the tallest trees?  The beauty of the sun shining through the branches and the colors of the leaves will leave you breathless -

I decided to try my hand again at photographing the various stages of one of my paintings.  Usually I get so into the painting process that I forget to take pictures.  This time I really tried to concentrate to STOP after each step. 






I started with a reference photo I took during my trip to Virginia, and wanted to tone the paper a blue violet color.  The tiny painting to the right will be used for purpose.  It's a surprise - so say tuned for the future reveal.





I did a quick sort of generic sketch - not a lot of detail -  after blending the background color using circular motions with my fingers. I wanted to add the details with the pastels as I went along.





Time to add some cool toned greens.





And now for some medium yellow.





It's at this point in my painting process that I stop looking at the reference photo and just look at what I think the painting needs to become more interesting.  I know you don't usually see yellow trees without a bit of orange mixed in so I grabbed one of  my Terry Ludwig oranges and added a bit of color here and there.  I also used some Sennlier bright yellow and touches of white for the very tips. Then a vibrant blue for a bit of highlights.



Close up of blue highlights




The finished piece



Added a few branches with some Rembrandt red violet.  The roundness of the Rembrandts make it easy to "roll" up the paper to create the look of branches or grasses. 




All my colors used in this painting























No comments:

Post a Comment