Pages

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

#22 Loving the Storms

Break in the Clouds 5x7 pastel available $25.00



I've decided to work in the 5x7 size for the next few paintings for two reasons.  One to challenge myself to capture detail in less space and also to help myself reach my 31 in 31 personal challenge.  It's quite difficult to paint small when your pastels are so large.  I've been using Terry Ludwig and Sennlier pastels and they are about the size of my thumb. I love the fact that a painting of this size can be completed in a minimal amount of time and uses very little pastels.  I one thing that I AM having issues with is when it's time to sign the painting.  Because my name is a bit on the long side and the pastels are so large, it seems using my whole name takes up the entire painting space, so I've chosen to just initial the smaller pieces.  I think I'll order some pastel pencils in the near future and see if they work out better.  I just wonder to myself if Monet and Degas and all the great artists of our past struggled with issues like this. 

1 comment:

  1. I think that initials are fine on small works like you've been doing. You can write your name, the date and title on the back. You,ve got me curious now about how the "greats" handled this problem.

    ReplyDelete