Pages

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

#18 of 31 in 31 Day Complimentary Colors

Evening Sail 9x11 Pastel on Sandpaper available $55.00



I've slowly been making my way through Bill Creevy's book titled The Pastel Book.  It's filled with all kinds of information for the pastel artist like tips, tools and techniques.  One of the chapters discusses ways to achieve color harmony and the use of the color wheel.  I bought a hand held color wheel at my local art supply store and I'm constantly referring to it.  I meant to take a picture of mine, but got sidetracked as usual, so I'll save that for an upcoming post. According to the color wheel, the complementary color for green is red, and since this painting had a lot of green, I wanted to use the complementary color to help with harmony.  Red was way too bold of a color for this sunset scene, so I reached for the pinks.  Pink is made using red and white mixed, so basically any color in the "reds" works as the compliment.  After the painting was completed, or so I thought, I still felt something was needed, so I added 3 small marks up in the left corner to represent a sailboat.  It's a little surprise to the viewer when looking around the painting. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, seems to me you are really getting the lessons! I hope you are getting lots of positive feedback on your daily pieces. I haven't seen one yet that wasn't a winner. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete