Pages

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

#17 The Creation of a Pear

Temps de Poires Trois 12x18 pastel available $110.00



Today I thought I'd share some of the stages in creating this painting.  I love pears! The shape, the texture, the flavor, the colors.....I could go on and on. They are also the "theme" to my kitchen and I find them  a relaxing subject to paint. If you play the soundtrack to City of Angels while painting pears you create the perfect atmosphere - that's what I did anyway.  I was thinking about the scene where she's trying to describe the taste of the pear.  Not an easy thing - try it. So now I'm in my zone and here are the snap shots of the stages.





First I chose a blue gray color to tone the paper - I used a sheet of 12x18 UArt 400 and a Terry Ludwig pastel. I began blending the color into the paper with my fingers, but if you're not careful this can happen.




I rubbed the skin clean off! So I chose a semi hard paint brush to finish the job.




I did a quick sketch of the pears with vine charcoal and added the colors.  You can catch a glimpse of the reference photo at the top left of the picture.




I blended in the colors, added some dark for the shadows and creamy light peach for the lighted areas.  I used black for the dark. I've been told countless times in my pastel class to never use black because it will dull a painting, but for some reason I just love the look that you can get from black so I broke a pastel rule - I'm a rebel that way.  Just watch yourself on the amount of pressure you use or it can easily get away from you. 




Time for highlights, the stems and a couple more shadows and voila! Pears. A title in French just seemed to fit and translated is Pears Times Three.






No comments:

Post a Comment