Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Underpainting with Watercolor

Thursday Evening 5x7 pastel available $45.00






Watercolor paintings are so beautiful and luminous. They have a transparency about them that just draws you in, but they can be a tricky medium to work with.  When you've trained yourself to paint dark to light in acrylic, oil and pastels, the opposite is the rule when painting in watercolors.  I've wanted to try a watercolor underpainting for quite a while, so when I happened to be walking the aisles in our local Walmart, I spotted this watercolor set and thought no better time than the present to give it a try.  Now truth be told, I'm a bit afraid of watercolor.  In my mind, watercolor is the hardest medium to master - I may be wrong, but back in high school, our art class was given and assignment to do a watercolor painting, and mine came out so awful - and I felt that I just couldn't grasp the concept, so picking up a set of these paints is a giant step for me.  Now I know this particular set is not going to produce artist grade results, but I'm only using it for an underpainting so we'll see how it goes. 

My new watercolor set







Originally, I was going to add a little water feature, but not long after I started laying in the pastels decided against it.  Wow my easel is really needs a scrub down!






Adding in the darks




Next came adding in some pinks and purples and a bit of cream to the clouds and greens to the grasses.  I also added in some wildflowers that grow all along the roadside here.




 After standing back and taking another look, I thought I really over did it with the flowers, so I blended some out ( an advantage with working in pastels) .  


Last night, my son and I took a drive to photograph the sunset at the various rivers around our house and I was a bit frustrated that I could not capture the brilliant colors that were in the clouds with the camera.  Zach said the only way to capture the true colors in the sky would be the paint plein air.  What a great idea!  What if I did a series of the same scene every day for a week......or a month?  Just to capture the ever changing sky? I love the idea! So I've begun cutting some 5x7 sheets of UArt to get ready for this new challenge.



No comments:

Post a Comment