Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

A Painterly Lesson

Hydrangeas in a White Pitcher 9x12 pastel available $125.00






There's been a lot of buzz in the pastel art world about the new video that Alain Picard shared on You Tube demonstrating the "painterly" technique. He features an apple and invites the viewers to paint along with him.  While I did watch the video all the way through, I didn't have an apple at the time so I chose this little pitcher with hydrangeas I cut off one of my shrubs.

The concept to the painterly technique is to loose edges. Or in other words let your painting fall outside of the lines.  In the painting above you can see the lost edges surrounding the pitcher on the left side and also the handle and again within the leaves and even in the shadows. 

This was a technique that I really enjoyed and felt I grew as an artist just trying to NOT stay in the lines.  I look forward to trying more subjects in this style, and yes, I've now filled the house with apples so I plan to follow along the video with apple in hand. Stay tuned for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment