Pages

Monday, August 26, 2019

Put Something you Love into Your Stillife

The Hymnal 9x11 pastel     available $125.00



It was the perfect day...... Zach and I had just visited the zoo in Salisbury to take photos for a class project he has, although I don't need a reason to go to the zoo. I LOVE the zoo! Well afterward we went out to lunch and while heading home we were about to pass an antique bookstore - and it was OPEN! I've passed this store many times over the years, but it was always closed much to my dismay, but today I was going to finally get to go in! What a treat..... I said ohhhh Zach.....we just have to check this place out. He shook his lowered head trying to prepare himself because he's well seasoned in my love of books and just how long I can spend in a book store.

I reassured him that I would not be TOO long because I had a mission, and was only going to scan for a certain type of book to use in future paintings.  I described to him what I had pictured in my mind and then we entered the store.  WOW! It took my breath away! Wall to wall - piles among piles- of beautiful books! I had hit the motherload!  I don't know exactly how long we searched, but there it was..... a tattered 1911 hymnal.  What a great find!  I set up a couple of still lifes and took some photos for this and future paintings.  Below are the progress photos.





Here are the pastels that I used..... some nupastels, rembrandt, Terry Ludwig, and Sennelier.  A fun fact.... my brother bought me my set of Rembrandts about 30 some years ago if I had to guess.  At the time, I only painted in acrylic.  All that time they sat waiting to be used and I am so very thankful for them.




I decided to use a failed painting - I brushed off the old painting ( you can still see the ghost image behind the charcoal) and I sketched out the new work.




Adding in the darks first





Laying in the darkest areas of the lit areas
Added some purples and greens to the apple on the left
Added reds and golds to the apple on the right
Time to focus on the hymnal and added the highlights

















No comments:

Post a Comment