Pages

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Nocturnal Plein Air

Nocturnal Chimes 9x12 pastel available $25.00



I was disappointed yesterday that I wasn't able to meet up with the plein air group, but that didn't stop me from heading out into the yard to paint in the dark.  I bought a head lamp just for this type of occasion. I set up right before the sun went down - this was the scene I chose.




I just bought this wind chime from Tractor Supply (great mark downs)  which also doubles as a solar light.  I was excited to try painting on sand paper and I just so happened to have a pack of black - perfect for painting at night. 





I did a quick sketch with a light green Nu Pastel and then sat back and waited for the sun to set. I realized once the sky was dark that most of what I sketched in could no longer be seen - one of the hardest things about this particular painting was to cover up the green that on one hand I didn't need because some of the objects couldn't been seen anymore and on the other hand, this green was way too light to use on a dark painting.  So lesson learned for the next time, but it really is amazing how this painting glows to see it in person. 

Tonight I plan to finish a painting of a spring house and on my agenda for tomorrow is a water scene.  I've made a list of things I'd like to become proficient at painting, and I've started to just go down the list in order as sort of a challenge for the day. Here's what my list looks like:
1.  landscape
2.  animal
3.  figure
4.  still life
5.  structure/building
6.  plein air
7.  waterscape
8.  interior

I'm sure I've left something out and will add more ideas as they come to me.  If you have any ideas of things to add to the list, I'd love to hear them. 






No comments:

Post a Comment