Pages

Monday, June 26, 2017

Old World Flavor

Old World Flavor 9x12 pastel available $60.00




I love love love all things old world style.  The textures and colors are amazing to me, and when I came across this reference photo on Wet Canvas, I just had to give it a go.  I decided to use Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper because I wanted the color of the paper to show through.  I started out with the full intention of NOT blending anything but to use only the pastels - this idea worked fine for me until I got to the apples.  I am a habitual blender and I just couldn't get the apples to look smooth enough without blending - so I ended up failing my personal challenge for this painting. And in the end, I am very happy with how the painting turned out.  I will give it another try in the near future to NOT blend, but I'm not promising anything - I know how I am.

Today I dropped off the 2 paintings I completed for entry into the Plein Air Painters of the Chesapeake Bay show being held at Candleberry Gallery in St. Michaels, Md.  The show officially starts this coming Saturday - I'm crossing fingers that they sell. I've become used to selling paintings unframed thus far so when it's called to have something framed, I always go into a shock.  The price of framing is crazy!  I thought I'd save a bit by framing myself............wrong.  The mat was $31.00 alone not to mention the frame on top of that.  If any of you seasoned artists have cost cutting ideas to framing I'd love to hear them.  I wish I had taken a picture of them framed to share on the blog, but alas I didn't.  I will take some pictures at the opening reception - they really turned out great.  Frames and mats are expensive, but they really can make a painting pop. 

Heading back to the easel now to work on my next challenge - I've not painted any type of buildings that I can remember, so that's what I'm beginning this evening. Until tomorrow...... Have a great night!Old World Flavor 9x12 pastel available $60.00

No comments:

Post a Comment