Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Painting to the Edge of the Paper

Lavender Breeze 12x12 Pastel available $125.00




I've been a busy bee these days planning new gardens for my yard - I'm so excited to get started! My dream is to have an awesome artists garden view from every window of my house, of course it will take a couple of years, I'm sure, but I've been researching plants to go into each sections being planned.  One of the plants at the top of my list is lavender.  Ohhhh the smell of lavender - how can you resist? And there are so many things that you can make with this plant that it also satisfies the crafter in me.  And so ..... I decided to make lavender the next subject for a painting.  I started with a Gamsol wash after applying some color.  I moved the brush in the direction that I wanted the different areas to flow.  I hang my paintings with tape tabs so that I can paint the entire paper and not have a border around the edges.  I first saw this technique on Karen Margulis's blog and though how engenious it was, and I've stuck with this method ever since.  Although sometimes you come across paper that really wants to roll up on you and you have no choice but to tape all the way around, but I like saving as much tape as I can - don't need the extra expense no matter how small it is.


Gamsol wash
 


I can't wait to share with you my finished garden spaces as I complete each one and also the wildlife I'm hoping to attract .  The weather is looking up for this weekend - time to get out and get to work - but with your busy schedules don't forget to stop and smell the flowers. Take in your beautiful surroundings.  

*Just a reminder 50% of all sales this month will be going towards helping a friend in need with hospital bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment