Pages

Saturday, January 27, 2018

A Winter Walk

Along the Stream pastel 8x10 available $60.00


I looked out from my kitchen window after last weeks snowfall and was immediately drawn to the orange color of this tree against the snow. I just had to paint this scene.  I put on my coat and trekked outside to get some photos. Luckily it wasn't too awful cold so I took a walk into the woods to get a lot of reference photos for future paintings.  

I couldn't decide on whether to begin with a gamsol wash or to just begin..... I'm very impatient when it comes to painting, so I just jumped right in with the pastels.  That's my favorite thing about pastels and why I'm so drawn to them - no mixing of paint needed just choose the color you want and put it to paper. For the impatient painter it's the perfect solution.  



This is the reference photo I was using - the colors seemed much brighter in person, and I exaggerated the colors even more to really give that tree center stage.  




Using the side of Terry Ludwig's square pastels and pressing firmly gives a sparkling finishing touch to highlighted tree branches.  



No comments:

Post a Comment